1. I went to the grocery store last night, and after I picked up my groceries, I started walking past all the check-out lines heading toward the door. In my path there was an adorable little girl, maybe 5 or 6 years old, waiting for her parents to finish buying the groceries. She had two brown pigtails and was pushing a tiny, metal grocery cart that looked just like the big ones, but it was exactly her size. She was doing a little dance as she pushed it around in circles. I smiled at how cute she was pushing this little child-size cart, when all of a sudden her Dad started loading her cart full of beer cases and alcohol bottles! It was kind of like one of those mormon-ads that juxtaposes a clean white living room with people who leave tar on everything they touch...have you seen that seminary video? I didn't know whether to laugh (because it was pretty funny watching a five year old push a cart full of beer out to the parking lot), or cry at the absurdity of it.
2. At work we have a little play area in the corner for the kids that come with their moms to shop. It has pretty high walls so they can't really get out unless they're older. There's a T.V. pointed at the area, and a VCR/DVD combination that only the workers can reach where we let Disney movies run all day long (I have all of them practically memorized by now). Well, sometimes, when it gets really busy, one of us will put a DVD in the player, press play and walk away. That means that after all the previews, the Menu pops up and the movie won't start until we press play again, right? Most kids will do one of two things: 1. wait patiently staring up at the screen for about five minutes, get bored, and run off to play with something else OR 2. come to the counter and say, "The movie isn't playing..." or "Could you press play, please?" Or something else to that effect. The other day, I walked from the counter, past the play area on my way to the back of the store, when I hear SNAP SNAP SNAP!! I look over and see a four-year-old perched on the wall staring at me...and he takes his little fingers and points at me, SNAPS his little hand, and then points at the T.V. Like some arrogant banker in a restaurant would Snap his fingers at the waitress, signaling for the check. I stood there for a minute, not quite believing that a four-year-old (who I KNOW could talk because he was the loudest kid in there) could have such attitude. So he sighed...I kid you not... exasperatedly, widened his eyes, stuck out his neck a little bit, and with a complete air of condescension snapped three more times and pointed at the T.V. What is this world coming to? I know my job isn't fancy, but I thought that I should at least command the respect of a four-year old in MY store!!! sheesh.
(In case you're wondering, I gave him my own little lesson in manners, and I said, "That is not how you get what you want... You can ask me politely and say, 'please.'" To which he just stared at me...and then looked away. sheesh. I kind of wanted to push him off the wall...just kidding :) but I did wonder where his mother was and what she would have done if she'd witnessed it)
No comments:
Post a Comment