I was talking to my friend, Jen Rawlings, the other day, and I was telling her some of the weird stuff that's been happening to me since I got pregnant. She commiserated with me on most things, but she also made the comment that she wishes she had kept a log of how she felt during the pregnancy to compare it to future pregnancies (and also to help poor souls like me who call for empathy). So I thought I'd share a few strange changes I've experienced in weeks 5-8 of pregnancy.
1. All men annoy me...more than usual. Whether this is my subconscious telling me to hate the sperm that did this to me, or if I have extra female hormones coursing through my body, I'm not sure. But all of a sudden I have a very short fuse with any man that dare cross my path.
2. Because I'm nauseous pretty much all day long, I have come to really hate food. I feel like I'm a slave to food and my meals, and I hate that. So it always seems really strange to me when, all of a sudden, in the midst of my nausea, I'll get a craving for something very specific and very weird--- so far it's been mostly Mexican food. Which, in my mind, would be the very last thing on my list to give to someone who's feeling nauseous. Today is was for a Spanish tortilla (something I haven't eaten since I lived in Spain, almost eight years ago). Yesterday was nachos...the kind with melted cheese for dipping. Not the homemade kind where the cheese it melted on top. It had to be dip-able cheese. A couple days ago it was scrambled eggs and potatoes, which doesn't sound weird except for the fact that I usually don't like eggs at all.
3. My husband smells bad to me. He doesn't ACTUALLY smell bad... but even after a shower and new clothes, brushing his teeth and flossing and using mouthwash....he just smells funny to me. This, in combination with number 1, is making it hard for me to show as much love as I should to my wonderful, caring husband.
4. I cannot eat poultry if I smell it cooking.
That's pretty much it, for right now. I would love to know if anyone else has had anything similar to these things. It made me feel really good to know that Jenn also felt like punching people when she was pregnant. It would make me feel good to know that I'm not the only one that hates how their husband smells :)
yes to #1, yes to #2, yes to #3 (well, only when he ate garlic, then I could not be within 5 feet of him or I would puke... one time I almost puked while he was kissing me b/c of it :)), and minor edition to #4... I cannot touch or cut raw chicken when I'm in my first trimester. If so, I cannot eat it. Smelling it cook also made me sick. Yup. Ew. I'm remembering morning sickness as I think of this so I'm going to stop now.
ReplyDelete