1.) He LOVES to put cloth in his mouth. If you give him a variety of toys to play with, he'll go straight to whichever one is soft or fabric cover and shove it right in his trapper. Then he'll go on playing with the other toys as he sucks on the one dangling from him mouth. He sucks on his shirt, his blankets, his teddy bear, my shirt, the wrap that I put him in, aaaanything that's fabric. We finally bought him a bib for the sole purpose of giving him something to suck on other than his socks or sleeves. Anyway, I left him asleep on my bed the other day and when he wakes up, he usually will start squealing/grunting/squawking to alert me that he's awake, but this day I peeked in the room to check on him and found him like this:
3.) He's a cuddler! He's so active all the time, and always has been, that I didn't think he was a very cuddly baby, but now that we've gotten the reflux under control and taken care of the Candida, he's actually a super cuddly little guy! He LOVES to curl up next to me with his legs propped up on mine and he'll wiggle until he's RIGHT next to me, turn his head until his nose is touching me, and then just fall asleep :) If he does wake up in the night for one reason or another, he loves when I sit in the rocker with him on my lap, and he'll just lean his head against my chest and fall asleep again. I think it's all of the time I spend with him in the wrap. He looooves being cuddled. He's a very physically needy baby---loves to be touched and needs to touch others. His favorite game is when I take his fingers and let him touch my face or my hair or my lips. While he's nursing he doesn't feel content unless he's holding my hand or touching my lips. I've tried giving him blankets or teddy bears or even my shirt to hold onto, but he will swing that little arm around and around until he finds some sort of skin to touch. :)
4.) And my all time favorite thing about my little boy is the way he looks at me and Mando. When I see him first thing in the morning, his face lights up as if he hadn't seen me in years. And when Mando comes home from work in the afternoon, no matter what kind of mood he's been in, he breaks into a grin and starts flapping his arms around. Today I had Nicholas in the Baby Bjorn and we were meeting Mando at the bank on his way home from work. I was on the sidewalk waiting for Mando to walk up, and when Nicholas saw him, he started squealing with delight and reaching out for his Dad. Then, we had to walk the whole way in to the bank so that Nicholas could touch Mando's arm. Every time his hand slipped off, he would flap it around and squawk until he found Mando's arm again :) It was really cute, although I don't think I'm explaining it quite right.
It doesn't matter how Nicholas feels (happy, sad, angry, exhausted, sick, etc.) he looks at me as if I'm the only person in the whole world that he wants to see. He just radiates love and cheerfulness all the time. Even when he's crying he looks at me as if to say, "Mom, why aren't you doing anything? I just want to be with you, can't you see that?"
I think that's my favorite part of being a mother--- I feel like I'm able to calm and soothe my baby no matter what. Just being me is all he wants from me :) Simply my smell and my touch and being near me is enough to soothe him and help him feel loved and safe. I think that's pretty cool.
Anyway, there's so many more things that I love about Nicholas, but I'm getting tired and should go to bed while I can :)
No comments:
Post a Comment